No counter Instance available for few category/counters

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:14 PM
first of all I would like to say that this sample has been great help.
Most of the feature is working perfectly.

Single problem I am facing is
For some category of the reports no "Counter Instance" is available in the  dropdown which does not allow the publishing of reports.
It actually pops open a messagebox  stating "Please select  a value for the parameter : 'Counter Instance'".

Have I done something wrong ?
Or any suggetion to resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance
Apr 30, 2009 at 8:08 AM
Can you give me some counter names?  Also tell me about your environment ?

Thanks,
Sampath
Apr 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM
Counter names : For example Memory and System.
Environment:
Single box setup.
Sql server 2005, Reporting services, Reporting solution and controller all configured in single machine with OS Win server 2003 installed.
Two agents with vista and win server 2003
Client machine has win 7 and VSTT. This machine is used to administer the controller and for running the load tests.

Thanks,
Raunak
May 6, 2009 at 6:12 AM
Hi,
      Any updates on the issue..

THX,
Raunak
May 6, 2009 at 8:37 AM
Raunak,

I'm not able to repro this on my box. The all the counters have one or more instances.

Thanks,
Sampath
May 6, 2009 at 10:19 AM
I would like to understand that in case the counter instance is not available is the fault lies in the installation DB scripts in the solution or the problem lies somewhere else?

Because when I go to the server hosting the website to be tested and go to "Performance Monitor" interface (Start>Run>perfmon) and try and add Memory, I dont see any counter instance for it..

Any help would really be appreciated.
THX
Raunak
May 6, 2009 at 10:51 AM
Edited May 7, 2009 at 12:22 PM
Also I would like to know what are the counter instances for the "Memory" in your box.
I checked in the Load Test DB and searched in "LoadTestPerformanceCounterInstance" table  for the value under "Instance name" coloumn .
The only value available is "systemdiagnosticsperfcounterlibsingleinstance".
May 7, 2009 at 10:01 AM
There should be only one instance for Memory in the DB and what you saw is correct, also your observation in perfmon is right. When you dont see any instance in perfmon you will have a instance name called 'systemdiagnosticsperfcounterlibsingleinstance' in the DB for such counters.

Run profiler to check the query fired by the reports and that should be a good starting point. Also you can try installing the app on a different maching with LoadTestDB and see if it is a data issue, but that is unlikely unless someone was attempting to update the data/rows in the LoadTestDB.

Thanks,
Sampath
May 7, 2009 at 1:48 PM
Edited May 7, 2009 at 3:47 PM
Hey..
Thanks for the info..
Anyways I think I have some news to share.
Very strangely  the counter Instance "systemdiagnosticsperfcounterlibsingleinstance" shows up in firefox. But as expected the reporting website is not at all compatible in it.
But it doesnot show up in IE 8/IE7
Background : I have IE 8 installed in my Win 7 machine
 I select Memory in the category  drop down and  selecting all the counters in counter dropdown, ""systemdiagnosticsperfcounterlibsingleinstance" is not populated in the counter Instance drop down
So I am not able to select any value for Counter Instance and when I try to view report I keep getting the message
 "Please select  a value for the parameter : 'Counter Instance'"

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Raunak,

Can you view the website in compatibility mode and check ? I have personally not tried this on IE 8.

Thanks,
Sampath